Smogon Damage Calculator Released!

« Older   Newer »

1. R a l `
        +1   -1

User deleted

Smogon Damage Calculator Released!

The Smogon Damage Calculator is finally up and running!

If you want to skip this OP, and get right to the program -- please do the following:
    1. Open the calculator

2. Click the Help Tool at the top (the button with the question mark "?")

3. Read the Quick Start Guide, and do a sample calculation

4. Have fun exploring the rest of the calculator!

Here's a link to the Damage Calculator:

http://www.smogon.com/calc/

It will be permanently linked in the Train & Battle section on the Smogon front page.

For those of you interested in finding out a bit more, then read on...

Back in May 2008, I was kicking around programming ideas with chaos, and we both agreed that there was no damage calculator that had all the features and functions that we really wanted. There were several decent calculators out there, but no really great one. So, I set out to build "The Ultimate Damage Calculator".

Remind me never to set out to build "the ultimate" anything ever again. Living up to the promise of "the ultimate..." is just too big of a burden, and it takes too damn long to do. But, whatever... After several fits and starts, many rewrites and redesigns -- the Damage Calculator is now finished. And if it's not "the ultimate"? -- well, that's OK too.

(Just don't tell me that, OK? I have a fragile ego and all...)

Anyway, the calculator has lots of cool features. Here's a quick rundown:
    • Completely accurate according to the Damage Formula

• You can choose from Smogon movesets for all pokemon

• Multiple calcs on multiple pokemon at the same time

• "Reverse calcs"

• Intelligent text parsing for common terms and phrases

• Text import and export in multiple formats

• Formatted reports for posting calc results on forums

• Handles all the special moves and abilities that confound other calculators

• Special features for calculating damage with Stealth Rock in play

• Many features for handling Hidden Power

• Automatic computation of stats and EV's

• EV Balancing tools

• And much, much more!

Because the calculator has many advanced features, I spent a lot of time and effort writing a comprehensive help system. If you decide to jump into the calc and take advantage of the "power-user" features, I highly suggest you spend some time checking out the help section.

This project has been a labor of love of mine for a long time now. I've used this thing as a big lab experiment, which is part of the reason it took so long to complete. Overall, I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out. TBH, I'm kinda sick of working on it right now, so I don't see myself making major changes any time soon, but it's not completely out of the question. The calculator only supports 4th generation calcs (which is why this thread is here in Stark Mountain), but I built a few things to allow other gens to be added later. We'll see how it goes.

Do not use this thread to report bugs or ask simple questions.

Report bugs here: Damage Calculator programming thread

Let's use this thread to discuss the calculator, its design and implementation, the damage formula, and its usage in competitive battling, team building, etc.

Happy calculating!

0 replies since 17/5/2010, 17:55   922 views