Originally 190 Pokémon in Gen I

« Older   Newer »

1. Akainu.
        +1   -1

User deleted

Originally 190 Pokémon in Gen I

I know this is old news, but could be worth some discussion. For years, there was a rumour circulating that there was originally going to be more than the original 151 in R/G/B/Y. When at Worlds, Smogon user Zog decided to ask Shigeki Morimoto; a Game Designer and Programmer (and Pokémon Designer and Adviser), as well as the one credited for creating Mew. Apparently, his response was:
    CITAZIONE
    So at the worlds this year I decided to ask Shigeki Morimoto, the guy who made Mew, about it. Since I asked him at the autograph table, where he would have his translator, I didn't have long so I can pretty much outline the exchange as this:

Me: "So in Red and Green, were there originally exactly 190 Pokémon?"

*Translator relays to Morimoto; he sort of jumps in his chair enthusiastically (lol) and seems very happy, grinning at me*

Translator: "Yes; we decided to save the rest of the designs for later"

Me: "So for example Ho-Oh was made for Red and Green first? Since it was in the first episode of the anime?"

*he hears Ho-Oh and looks confused, then then when the translator says the rest to him he remains the same*

Translator: "No, not Ho-Oh. He wasn't made earlier."

And then I say domo arigato and get rushed out by the queue building behind me, heheh. However what he said about Ho-Oh just doesn't make sense so I'm guessing that was an error in the translation. Since Ho-Oh is #49 in the list and appears in anime episode 1 it obviously had been made by that time so he probably tried to say Ho-Oh wasn't made for Red and Green, and was just in there with no real intention of keeping it in.

This is quite evident when you look at the Index numbers for Generation I; some Missingo there are obviously placeholders, but turn into specific species once traded to a Generation II game. Those Pokémon are:

Scizor
    Shuckle
    Heracross
    Ho-Oh
    Sneasel
    Teddiursa
    Ursaring
    Slugma
    Magcargo
    Swinub
    Piloswine
    Corsola
    Remoraid
    Octillery
    Delibird
    Mantine
    Skarmory
    Houndour
    Houndoom
    Kingdra
    Phanpy
    Donphan
    Porygon2
    Stantler
    Smeargle
    Tyrogue
    Hitmontop
    Smoochum
    Elekid
    Magby
    Miltank
    Blissey
    Raikou
    Entei
    Suicune
    Larvitar
    Pupitar
    Tyranitar
    Lugia

That is exactly 39 species; the amount that were removed, according to Morimoto-san. Looking at the list, the majority of them are pre-evolutions and evolutions of Generation I Pokémon that were introduced in Generation II.

2. Kerozatch
        +1   -1

User deleted

Potevi farlo anche in ita eh :rolleyes:

3. SafetyUser
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE (Kerozatch @ 6/2/2011, 19:38) 
    Potevi farlo anche in ita eh :rolleyes:

Forse non aveva tempo/voglia per tradurre...

2 replies since 3/2/2011, 00:26   359 views